It is time to face the facts.
You have not been setting a good example.
You realized the impact of your habits when you saw the card that your 16 year old daughter had not been to the dentist in more than a year. You asked your daughter to call and make an appointment, but when she did the receptionist told her that an adult needed to make the phone call. You realized then that the fact that it had been more than three years since you went to the dentist might be having an impact on more than just your oral health. That is when you decided that you needed to make an appointment and get started on a better dental routine so that your teenage daughter would realize the importance of regular check ups and regular dental health care.
Dentists are not everyone’s favorite people, but that is no reason to let your dental hygiene slip. Getting yourself, and your entire family, in the routine of going to twice a year dental appointments can help you make sure that you will have healthy teeth for the rest of your lives. Family dentists help parents and children alike find the dental care that they need.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the dental industry and the impact that their services have on both individuals and the nation’s economy:
- 47.2% of adults over the age of 30 have some form of periodontal disease.
- 50% of the adult U.S. population surveyed over age 50 agree indicated that a smile is the one physical feature that stays the most attractive as we age, according to a survey by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
- 15% of the edentulous population, those without teeth, have dentures made each year.
- 70.1% of adults 65 years and older have periodontal disease, which might not be a surprise since periodontal disease increases with age.
- As many as 20% of Americans has one or more untreated cavities. Unfortunately, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to be one of the untreated 20%, at least among adults.
- 96% of adults indicate that they believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to members of the opposite sex.
Whether you are looking for cosmetic dentistry or family dental care, it is important that you make sure you find a dental provider that you trust and that you make the appointments that you need.