An unfriendly receptionist.
A horrible extraction.
The irritating noise.
The numb mouth for hours afterward.
Complete and total fear.
The list of reasons why people do not like to go to the dentist can be long.
Even when children go to the dentist on a regular basis, they can later become adults who do not like to go to their regular appointments. The fact that general dentistry appointments are important is not always enough to make sure that people keep them. In fact, some people end up only going to the dentist when they are in an emergency situation. From extreme pain to a broken tooth, it is usually an extreme situation that forces even someone who is scared of the dentist to finally go in to an appointment.
Family dentistry offices often have the most success in getting their patients to make and keep their appointments. When an entire family can get in at once, for instance, it is easier to remember and easier to hold everyone accountable.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the importance of dental appointments and the impact that these dentist offices have on the nation’s economy:
- 74% of adults think an unattractive smile can hurt them professionally, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
- 18.6% of children between the ages five to 19 suffer from cavities that are untreated.
- 20% of all Americans has one or more cavities that are untreated.
- 47% of American adults are affected by periodontal disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- 40% of children have dental cavities by the time they reach kindergarten.
- Dentistry is one of the 10 most ethical and trusted professions in the U.S.
- 99.7% of the people surveyed by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry believe a healthy smile is socially important.
You need to quit making excuses and start focusing on the future of your dental health. The fact that the receptionists are intimidating or that you have had a bad experience in the past is no reason to miss the appointments that can help you have the attractive smile that you want.